Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Delivering the items to the Nhlengethwa family

Today we delivered the items for the Nhlengethwa family. First we stopped at Lutfotja Methodist Primary to drop off transport payments for 7 kids to get their monthly ARV medication this month. We saw most of the children at school. Their smiling faces when we see each other melts our hearts and I know it makes my day. Then we went to the La-Mawandla High School to pay Mthokoisiwe’s school fees and order the items that are part of his uniform. The head teacher saw us and was so happy that we were at the school again to check on Mthokoisiwe and of course that we were paying the school fees as we promised. Then we took Mthokoisiwe with us and drove to his homestead.

There was one of the Circuit Manyano ladies (Dinah) with us that had never been on one of our “outings.” She was coming to help deliver the donated items and meet Mthokoisiwe since the District is paying his school fees. When we had to drive across the stream to get to his house she couldn’t believe it. All the ladies say I drive like a man which is a compliment here because not many women drive. Dinah said I am the best driver in the world. Yeabo! Especially since she was a bit frightened because the grass is so high as a result of all the rain that you can’t see what you are driving on. And then we had to walk to get to their homestead. She immediately sat down to rest once we got there and wasn’t going to move until we left! I think her eyes were opened as to what Thoko, Thini, Gladys, Thembie and I do when we go make the homestead visits.

It did start raining pretty hard just as we were leaving the homestead. Dinah was really scared. I didn’t admit it, but I was a bit concerned as well. I just found myself saying “yea though I walk through the valley of death, thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff guide me.” Don’t ask me why that verse came to mind because I wasn’t that concerned.

The unsettling part of the visit, besides seeing the children’s overall living conditions and knowing that they are there all alone, is that we are wondering if the things we bring are actually being used by the children. I wonder where a few of the things we brought are. Also the shoes that we got the children are worn completely out. I can’t believe that the shoes were that destroyed in just a few months. But the children say they were worn out and the ladies say it is probably true because of the harsh conditions they have to walk on to go to school. I just have a hard time believing that. And then Mthokoisiwe said that we should take some of the food back and bring it another time so that it won’t be taken from them. This leaves me in such a quandary and all I can think of to do is get angry or pray. I chose prayer but the hard part is to turn over to God their father and the people who steal and take from the children and not ask that He punish them right now, here on earth. I had to hesitate before I could do that.



Isn't the countryside just beautiful???



Walking from the car to the homestead
.



Mthokoisiwe holding the barbed wire fence for Dinah to go through.



Thoko and Mthokoisiwe on the way to the homstead.



Me playing with the timer on my camera. I think the ladies thought I was nuts.


No comments: