Sunday, August 3, 2008

“Be still and know that I am God.” Psalms 46:10

Visualize an animated Pastor speaking with emotion, sometimes almost shouting in English and sometimes in SiSwati. The languages seem to intertwine especially in the height of emotion. Since English is my only language, I have to listen very carefully to try and understand what the message is. Luckily, Rev Nyameka is kind enough to speak enough English so that if I listen carefully I can generally follow along.

This morning he said he was going to focus on Hebrews 8:6 (“The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace.”) and Colossians 3:15 (“Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you are called to peace. Be thankful.”) Then all of a sudden, as I am listening for the English mixed in with the SiSwati I hear him say “Be still and know that I am ____?” I could answer that question because that has always been one of my favorite and most meaningful verses! Rev. Nyameka went on to say how we need to focus on Christ. We need to talk to Christ about everything, even the “small talks.” We have no power to solve our problems. We need to “be still and know that I am God” (Ps. 46:10) His perspective was that stress is God’s way to tell us we are not focusing on on Jesus. Our problems come from our own inability to be still. When I was still working in the States, I would constantly remind myself to be still, take a deep breath and know that God is with me and in control. Since coming to Swaziland there is not as much to distract me, but I still need to be still and know that God is with me. Many times I have to close my eyes, even for a moment, take a deep breath, and know that in the stillness is God. He is with me. Then I can let the breath out and go in peace knowing that I am not alone and that He is in control.

I had visitors from Houston with me today. Roxanne Richter and Dr. Tom Flowers of World Missions Possible from Houston, Texas drove through Swaziland on their way to Kruger Park. After church I drove them up to Lomngeletjane so they could see our newest Methodist school. As I started to drive away from Lomngeletjane, I noticed beautiful red flowers coming out on one of the trees by the side of the road. What a beautiful sign that spring is coming and another reminder that if I focus and be still, I will know that God is all around me.

Have a blessed day.

No comments: