Monday, November 16, 2009

You know you are a Methodist Volunteer in Mission when....

When you aren't afraid to drive up, up, up the very squishy, muddy road in the rain to Lomngeletjane to deliver the paint for the teacher's house so it can hopefully be finished before you come home.  John and the head teacher couldn't believe I actually made it up there.  (You'd think they would have figured out by now I don't give up easily!)

The sign of a working volunteer in mission in Swaziland:

Or when you walk into a hospital and then a circuit stewards meeting with a skirt very muddy from walking in the rain, mud and just getting in and out of the muddy car - and you don't feel the slightest bit embarrassed.

Or when you almost cry when you see the smile of a small child as you walk into her room in the hospital.

Or when you change her poopy diaper with all of the Swazi mothers gathered around you talking and giggling amongst themselves.  Thank God I still remembered how to change a diaper!

Or when you play tickle monster to the sweet little girl that didn't move or utter a sound less than a week ago and she laughs out loud and you hug and kiss her.  (Once again the Swazi mothers keep talking and staring at you.)

And most definitely when you can't give enough praises to God for answering your prayers to heal this innocent child.  Nomile now weighs 7.45 kg. Her goal weight is 8.6 kg.  I can no longer feel every bony bump in her spine.  She kept openly looking at me with the sweetest smile and just a hint of a dimple.

She is camera shy, but I managed to get a couple of pictures of her drinking her formula.  When she finished I put her down and motioned for her to take her cup to the kitchen so the nurse's aid could wash it.  The nurse's aid was so thrilled.

 


And then I had to leave.  She cried when I put her back in her crib and it broke my heart but I know the other mothers and the nurse's aid will look after her and she will settle down.

No comments: